|Description||St Brigid’s & St. Patrick’s National School|
|Type||Education, Civic and Cultural|
|Location||Bothar Brugha, Drogheda, Co. Louth|
|Team||Frank Cooney, Bryan Brady, Lara Garcia, Mairead Bolger|
|St Patricks boys’ national school at Bothar Brugha, is located high above the Northern banks of the Boyne river in the historic Town of Drogheda.|
The all boys school was officially opened on March 1st, 1954, by the then minister for education General Mulcahy. It catered for 300 pupils and had seven classrooms
The works to the existing school were to build upon the decades of students who have passed through the school, by sensitively resorting the existing 7 classroom school and providing a counterbalance of modernity, with a new 2 storey school extension.
The new 2 storey, 14 classroom extension is ‘hidden’ behind the historic school structure, only revealing itself to the trained eye of the casual passer-by or when approached by the children, parents and wider community during its daily vocational activities. The sleek mono-pitch roof and punch hole windows aim to reduce the scale of the buildings, while providing an elegant and legible building block.
The external areas provide the students with much needed breakout spaces and cater for the Juniors in a sheltered centralised courtyard, while the more boisterous seniors can avail of two courts and a large green space. External areas are connected to the school building visually and carefully through considered access nodes.